Together Beyond Words Workshops
Creating Safe Havens to Feel and Heal
When we listen, we offer with our attention an opportunity for wholeness. Our
listening creates sanctuary for the homeless parts within the other person. That
which has been denied, unloved, devalued by themselves and others. That which is
hidden. – Rachel Naomi
When we look conflict in the Middle East and around the world, we often see people acting out or transmitting their inner pain through prejudiced, intolerant and violent behavior thereby causing more pain and suffering, intensifying the cycle of violence.
In our workshops, we create safe havens to express, work through and heal those emotions so that we can stop acting them out in the world.
- Developing compassion towards ourselves and one another
- Providing tools to transform pain related to the conflict
- Increasing understanding and empathy towards the narrative of the “other”.
- Empowering and training women to apply their unique peacebuilding skills so they can take a more central role in working for peace.
- Supporting men in their journey to liberate their hearts: increase their ability to feel and heal.
Our workshops include:
- Opening and closing circles that help in creating the container and in integrating the work that has been done within the meetings.
- Dance/movement therapy – Regaining the ability to be in our bodies, experience the joy of movement, dance, non-competitive games, creative self-expression and become aware of past woundedness concealed within the body.
- Listening partnerships –Learning to listen with acceptance and compassion to the narrative of “the other”. Wounds from the past that came up during the body work are felt, shared and worked through. At the end of this healing process, participants experience an ability to choose more compassionate, effective approaches to address situations that trigger them.
- Healing touch techniques – Learning to connect through gentle touch on back and shoulders helps participants relieve physical pain, create a feeling of connection, closeness, calm and strengthen their ability to listen to the wisdom and knowing of their bodies.
At the end of the workshop participants apply the skills they learned with their families and communities thereby building a basis for a caring compassionate society.